So, the prototype is working. Not very beautiful, and the soldering sucks, but it works and it spares me from putting a breadboard in the boat again. Below the circuit board is the Arduino Mega which is currently operating as the test platform, on top of it are the MRF24J40MA wireless module and the Adafruit Ultimate GPS receiver.
Now I only have to build something similar for the bluetooth bridge, make some adjustments to the software and I’m good to run another life test on a lake (without having to fear that the boat wanders out of bluetooth range).
Continue reading Prototype for boat controller
So, after some trial and error I managed to interface the MRF24J40 modules with two Arduinos and have them exchange data.
This looks more complicated than it is. Continue reading MRF24J40 and Arduino
One mrf24j40 module connected to an Arduino Nano, the other one to an Arduino Mega … looking awesome, but not yet working.
For some time now I was intrigued by wordclocks. Sadly, all clocks I found so far are quite pricy, so I decided to build my own, using an Arduino for the electronics. The clock is going to be a gift, so I’m going to keep these posts private until the gift is given, so all related posts are going to appear at once.
Yesterday I ordered the first parts for the project, an Arduino Mega 2560 along with a set of white LEDs. Originally I wanted to use an Arduino Nano, but while I was doing the concrete planning of the electronics I realized that would mean quite an excessive amount of soldering on my part. The Nano has only 14 digital pins, but for a minimal german word clock I need to control 19 individual lights, I’ll have 21. My first idea to use a logic gate fell short when I calculated the logic gate.
es ist fünf zehn viertel
zwanzig nach vor halb
eins zwei drei vier fünf
sechs sieben acht neun
zehn elf zwölf uhr
There are just too many things that can go wrong here, additionally this would be using quite an amount of space. So I’m going for the Arduino Mega, which has 54 digital pins. A little excessive, but way easier to build. I’m going to add an DCF77 radio clock module so I won’t have to bother with the functions to set the time. The module will reduce the available pins on the Arduino further when it’s connected. Integrating it shouldn’t be too hard, a library to access it from an Arduino already exists.
This is how I want to build it: The top is going to be a layer of acrylic glass, with the words being cut out somehow. I’m not sure yet how I’m going to do this, I have a couple of ideas to try. Below that I want to use a layer of diffuse acrylic, to spread the light from the LEDs more evenly. Maybe I can merge these two layes, I’ll have to try it.
Things to figure out: how to separate the LEDs from each other, how to build the case (probably thin PVC). But first things first, I’ll have to wait for the first parts to arrive. Then I’ll start playing with them.