I managed to attach the DCF77-Receiver to my Arduino and found a source code that works with it and reads the correct time as well as the correct date. Too bad I’m not going to use the date part.
Today I was rummaging through a crafts store and found some dark card board and translucent paper. The paper is available in different colors, so I can customize the color of the words to my liking. I cut some rough letters out of the card board and placed the translucent paper behind it. Continue reading Starting with the front plate
I’m not sure yet on how to build the front plate, but this is how I intend it to look like.
Today the LEDs I ordered finally arrived. A couple of days ago I stumbled upon a wiring technique called “charlieplexing”, which is explained quite thorough in this article. If my calculations are correct I’m going to need 12 pins on the Arduino to control the LEDs and another one for the DCF module, so I’ll be good with the regular 14 pins.
So, next I’ll start wiring up some LEDs for testing. As long as I don’t have the DCF module some dummy clock function will have to to.
For some time now I was intrigued by wordclocks. Sadly, all clocks I found so far are quite pricy, so I decided to build my own, using an Arduino for the electronics. The clock is going to be a gift, so I’m going to keep these posts private until the gift is given, so all related posts are going to appear at once.
Yesterday I ordered the first parts for the project, an Arduino Mega 2560 along with a set of white LEDs. Originally I wanted to use an Arduino Nano, but while I was doing the concrete planning of the electronics I realized that would mean quite an excessive amount of soldering on my part. The Nano has only 14 digital pins, but for a minimal german word clock I need to control 19 individual lights, I’ll have 21. My first idea to use a logic gate fell short when I calculated the logic gate.
es ist fünf zehn viertel zwanzig nach vor halb eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn elf zwölf uhr
There are just too many things that can go wrong here, additionally this would be using quite an amount of space. So I’m going for the Arduino Mega, which has 54 digital pins. A little excessive, but way easier to build. I’m going to add an DCF77 radio clock module so I won’t have to bother with the functions to set the time. The module will reduce the available pins on the Arduino further when it’s connected. Integrating it shouldn’t be too hard, a library to access it from an Arduino already exists.
This is how I want to build it: The top is going to be a layer of acrylic glass, with the words being cut out somehow. I’m not sure yet how I’m going to do this, I have a couple of ideas to try. Below that I want to use a layer of diffuse acrylic, to spread the light from the LEDs more evenly. Maybe I can merge these two layes, I’ll have to try it.
Things to figure out: how to separate the LEDs from each other, how to build the case (probably thin PVC). But first things first, I’ll have to wait for the first parts to arrive. Then I’ll start playing with them.